for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday 27 April 2014

Our Government at its best.

What is our Government best at?

Yes, our Government is best at shutting down things, instead of taking a haul and actually get to the street level to analyze issues.

From shutting YouTube, to debating whether Geo should prevail or be banned from Pakistan--from 2012 to 2014, there is absolutely NOTHING these guys have learned.

Learning. What about it? We need to learn to not jump to hasty conclusions and premature decisions. May those begin from VoIP being demanded to block itself all over Sindh, and then exploding like a blast that it cannot be implemented in just one province. Rude as it may sound, I would not be shocked if VoIP had been blocked across the country, just to keep militants off Sindh. But never mind, I was quoting only an example. By hasty conclusions, I mean to bring to your notice the decisions about 'banning' various things.

But how would they? They need a brain, and anyone with HALF a brain would. But the question is, do they even have quarter of a brain or not?

Our Government has predominantly absconded from any and every situation that has had the need to be DEALT with. All they do is 'condemn' and well, shutting down YouTube, or Geo, for that matter, is just another form of condemnation.

All of the above, I have detested to the core. Always have, always will.

Faced with the question of what I think since I am a media person, is an interesting thought to hold onto. If media is my bread and butter, shutting down Geo would mean emanating the media.

HOWEVER, more than others, the responsibility of media persons (inclusive of myself) is greater to ensure that the media does what it is SUPPOSED to do. And even though shutting it down would mean emanating it; us, as media persons have to either stand for it or against it. Yes, we are not being selfish as our government is. We tend to widen our thoughts in the best interest of the "awam" and most importantly, Pakistan.

Therefore, for whatever Geo is doing, I stand against the channel. And yes, whatever they are showing needs to stop, but NOT the way our glorious Government is approaching it.

Ever heard of reaching the grass root level, followed by necessary action?

My friends, the media is supposed to state facts for the people, investigate, analyze and show direction; NOT form opinions or tarnish the already existing ones. Please ensure that it does, ONLY, what it is entitled to do. Question what is right as to why, and question what is not right, as to why not. And then, LET the "awam" decipher a conclusion of their own. Anyone with HALF a brain can; I am sure they have the other half too though.

I reiterate, opinion formation is the job of the awam. Let them do their job and we will do ours. While our Oscar-deserving politicians shall sit on the throne and see the country distill into a melting pot; or to my hope, are they playing any differently this time around? That is, actually getting some WORK done. Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.

Every profession you enter, you need to ensure it doesn't become a curse (or humorously, butt of the joke) for others through causal measures. If at all media is becoming a menace, we should all unite and work towards it. We are OUR own solicitors.

Shutting a channel down doesn't help, you see? Shut down the source of what's causing it to be what it is: a menace, a disgrace and a source of abhorrence for the "awam".

Just because I feel saying this was not enough, I will say it again. Yes, my dear Government, I hereby save you the hassle of scrolling up so here you go: I would, and SHOULD be the first to stand against evil, if Geo is pulling off any, for that matter. My duty towards achieving this equilibrium, to uphold the prime motive of what the media is designed to do, is greater than anyone else.

Dear Government, you are confronted with YET another opportunity, in form of another issue to stand your ground and show us what you are capable of. Do NOT let this countenance go to waste.

Use it, do not abuse it.

We need it, and only the Lord knows how much.

Stop collecting scapegoats and smoking guns--just get to work while the metallic throne is yours. Because someone once told me, "the only helping hand you have is at the end of your own arm."

Even though opportunity for our beloved Mr. Prime Minister has knocked the third time; a sincere opportunity knocks but once.

Cure the infection that you think Geo may be causing, don't run towards amputation. Because whoever initiated Geo had some thought behind his action. Guard their sanctity and intent, dear Government. That is what you are supposed to do.

As a media person, I vow to guard, and uphold the sanctity of what I am supposed to do, in the best interest of the "awam" and my country.

My passion is my profession; my profession is my religion; my religion is my pride. Please do not suck the last drop of faith my heart is still holding onto.

Pakistan is mine, yours...ours to own. Own it, embrace it, ace it!

We either reach out for too much light, or shield ourselves from it.
We are being of extremes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment